It seems the first asparagus was consumed in Egypt, but make no mistake, it is a staple Dutch food as well. The province of Limburg is where most of our asparagus come from, in green or white versions.
Asparagus is harvested in a special way, which is called “asperge steken” in Dutch. They are pulled out of the ground by hand! In this tart, I pair them with eggs, but you could also add ham for a classic combination.
Asparagus and Egg Tart Recipe
450 grams green asparagus
½ cup crème fraîche
4 large eggs
1 cup grated Dutch mature cheese
¼ cup chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste
250 grams puff pastry
- Preheat the oven to 390F.
- Half the asparagus. Bring plenty of water to a boil in a large pan, add asparagus and cook for 3 minutes or until soft, but not mushy. Drain, then set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the crème fraîche, 2 large eggs, cheese, chives, salt and pepper.
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Roll the puff pastry out to about 16×7 inches. Fold about 1 inch over on each side, make sure to pinch the seams well.
- Spread the crème fraîche mixture onto the pastry. Distribute the asparagus over the tart. Place in the oven, bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the pastry is a nice golden brown. The tart can be eaten both warm and cold!