Nutty About Strawberries Tart Recipe
yields: 10 slices of heavenly strawberry and pistachio tart
Tools: tart tin (24cm in diameter, 2.5 cm high), (immersion) blender, mixer, pastry brush, piping bag + nozzle of choice (I used 1M/star)
300 gr pâte sablée
Almond-pistachio filling (adapted from Il était une fois la patisserie):
100 gr unsalted butter, at room temperature
100 gr caster sugar
2 tablespoons pistachio paste*
100 gr ground almonds
White chocolate and pistachio cream (adapted from Christophe Michalak):
80 gr white chocolate (good quality), drops or chopped into small pieces
1 tablespoon pistachio paste
180 gr whipping cream (35% fat)
200 gr (homemade) strawberry jam
500 gr fresh strawberries
50 gr pistachios, finely chopped
* I made mine using Pierre Hermé’s recipe (found on many blogs). You can also find pistachio paste in specialty food stores (but it’s a bit pricier there).
1. Make the white chocolate and pistachio cream preferably the day before as it has too cool for a good amount of time. To make the cream, mix chocolate and pistachio paste in a bowl. In a saucepan, bring whipping cream to a boil. Once boiling, take off the heat and pour into the bowl with the chocolate. Using a whisk, stir until all of the chocolate has melted. Use an immersion blender (or regular blender) to get the mixture as smooth as possible. Cover bowl with clingfilm and leave to chill in the refridgerator for at least 4 hours.
2. Make the pâte sablée. Once chilled, roll out to 3-5mm thickness and line tart tin. Chill in refridgerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 180C.
4. To make the filling, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add pistachio paste, egg and ground almonds and mix until everything is incorporated.
5. Fill chilled tart crust with the pistachio and almond filling. Smooth the top over. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the filling has set and has a good, brown color on top. Leave tart to cool in the tin, then turn out onto a plate.
6. Once tart has cooled, heat the strawberry jam in a saucepan with a tablespoon of water stirred in. Use an immersion blender to smoothen the jam. Brush or spread a thin layer of strawberry jam on top of the tart.
7. Cut the tops off the strawberries. Slice into 2-3 mm slices. Arrange the slices on top of the tart in circles, each slice overlapping the former somewhat. Brush some of the heated jam on top of the strawberries for a nice glaze. Cut the tart into 10 even slices.
8. Whip the white chocolate and pistachio cream as you would whipping cream. It should be firm enough to pipe. Fill piping bag with cream, pipe even amounts on the edge of each slice. Sprinkle some chopped pistachio over each slice before serving. Enjoy!